At Montrose Behavioral Health Hospital, we understand that the effects of behavioral health concerns and substance use disorders can keep people from living the fulfilling and productive lives they deserve. For this reason, we are proud to offer comprehensive outpatient programs that meet a variety of patient needs. Our outpatient services include a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP). In both settings, we provide personalized care that is designed to help those in need build a strong foundation for lasting wellness.
If you can benefit from structured yet flexible behavioral health treatment services, our outpatient hospital located in Chicago, Illinois, may be the ideal place to begin your healing journey.
Partial Hospitalization Program for Adults in Chicago
At Montrose Behavioral Health Hospital, we offer a leading partial hospitalization program for adults age 18 and older. The PHP can help individuals who need regimented care but do not require the intensive services provided in inpatient or residential programs.
In our adult partial hospitalization program, we treat a range of concerns, including:
- Bipolar disorder
- Personality disorders
- Suicidal or homicidal ideation
- Co-occurring substance use disorders
The PHP offers more support than traditional outpatient services while allowing patients to return home at the end of each day. This flexibility can help individuals maintain a sense of independence, stay connected with their families and support networks, and continue fulfilling their day-to-day responsibilities outside of the program.
Adults typically remain in the PHP for an average of four to six weeks. During this time, they take part in programming for six hours each day, four to five days a week. Our team works closely with each patient to determine the length of programming that can help them achieve their goals.
We strive to help individuals in the PHP learn to cope with disruptive symptoms in a productive way so that they can function better in their daily lives. At the beginning of the program, we assess each patient’s needs and preferences and use this information, along with details of their health history, to determine certain elements of their care.
Every patient’s customized care plan includes the therapies and services that can help them achieve the best possible results. Depending on the needs of the individual, their programming may include:
- Medical care: Basic medical care is provided by trained medical staff at the start of the program and on an as-needed basis.
- Medication management services: Adults who take medication as part of their treatment plan may have weekly meetings with our nursing staff.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT): Medical staff provides individualized MAT services on a case-by-case basis.
- Individual therapy: Weekly individual therapy sessions with a primary clinician provide patients with an opportunity to discuss topics they may not feel comfortable addressing in a group setting.
- Family therapy: Led by trained therapists and counselors, family therapy can help families better understand what their loved ones are going through and learn how to support them in their healing process.
- Group therapy: Group sessions are facilitated by licensed therapists and clinicians and occur daily. During group sessions, patients can make meaningful connections with peers and gain insight into topics like trauma, coping skills, self-esteem, healthy boundaries, and mental health disorders.
- Experiential therapies: Experiential therapies include activities such as art, music, and movement, which are led by licensed therapists and activity therapists. By taking part in these activities, patients can work through difficult emotions and learn to cope with painful memories.
Intensive Outpatient Program for Adults in Chicago
Our outpatient services also include a premier intensive outpatient program for adults age 18 and older. This program is similar to the PHP, but patients receive treatment for fewer hours each week. While both programs have the same average program duration of four to six weeks, individuals in the IOP take part in programming for only three hours each day, three to four days a week.
In the IOP, we provide focused care for a range of mental health concerns and substance use disorders. This program is a less restrictive level of care than the PHP, but it provides more structure than traditional outpatient programs. Patients follow a structured schedule of therapies and services that may include individual, family, group, and experiential therapies, as well as medication-assisted treatment and medication management services.
At our outpatient psychiatric hospital, we understand that each person’s unique life experiences can affect how they respond to certain therapies. That is why we take an individualized approach to care and only include the modalities our patients can benefit from. Patients in the IOP can feel at ease knowing that our staff will take the time to better understand their needs so that we can tailor their care accordingly.
Our adult intensive outpatient program is led by an interdisciplinary team of professionals who treat each patient with the utmost respect and compassion. Patients may interact with many highly trained experts, including medical staff, psychiatrists, registered nurses, licensed clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, certified alcohol and drug counselors, mental health workers, and clinical psychologists. Together, our team provides comprehensive care that addresses the whole person.
Features of Our Chicago, Illinois, Adult Outpatient Programs
At Montrose Behavioral Health Hospital, we are committed to delivering an exceptional care experience for every person we serve. When you choose our outpatient psychiatric hospital, you can receive care that includes the most up-to-date therapies and services in a warm and welcoming environment.
Key features of our outpatient programs include:
- Comprehensive, individualized care: Our outpatient programs offer a range of services that are carefully selected for each person based on their needs and goals.
- Structured scheduling: Patients take part in programming regularly. Having a regimented schedule can benefit individuals as they work toward better health.
- Detailed assessments: Our team evaluates each person’s needs to develop a personalized care plan that can help them achieve their short- and long-term goals.
- Evidence-based care: We incorporate an array of research-backed interventions, including cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, motivational interviewing, trauma-informed care, and acceptance and commitment therapy.
- Flexibility: Unlike live-in care options, outpatient programs give patients the freedom to fulfill their day-to-day obligations while also receiving essential behavioral healthcare services.
- Continuing care plans: Our team works closely with each patient to develop an aftercare plan for them that includes resources and services that can offer ongoing support.
At Montrose Behavioral Health Hospital, we recognize the importance of aftercare plans, and we take great care to ensure that each patient has access to the resources they need to remain happy and healthy well beyond their time in our adult outpatient program.
Our team begins discharge planning at the start of care and continually monitors each patient’s progress so that we can adjust their aftercare plan accordingly. We understand that each patient’s wellness journey continues long after they leave our outpatient psychiatric hospital. By providing individuals with recommendations for follow-up care and services, we can help them make strides toward lasting healing.
Aftercare plans are customized and may include:
- Referrals to a psychiatrist for medication management
- Recommendations for a lower level of care
- Follow-up individual psychotherapy
- Community resources
- Support groups
If you are an adult in need of outpatient behavioral health treatment services in Chicago, Illinois, we encourage you to contact our team today. We’re ready to support you as you take the first brave step toward a brighter, healthier future.
Whether you are stepping down from a higher level of care or seeking professional help for the first time, our hospital may be the right fit for you.
You may benefit from our adult outpatient services if you meet the following criteria:
- Your struggles with mental illness and chemical dependency have negatively affected your ability to function in your daily life.
- You can benefit from regularly scheduled mental health and substance use disorder treatment.
- You have previously participated in outpatient therapy, but it did not provide you with the structure or support you need to achieve your goals.
- You have a safe and supportive living environment to return home to each day after programming ends.
- You require the assistance and expertise of behavioral health professionals for complex concerns.
To learn more about which outpatient program can guide you toward better health, please reach out to a member of our knowledgeable staff today. We are available 24/7 to schedule an initial, no-cost screening that can help us determine which program is the right fit for you. If you don’t fit the criteria for the programs offered at our outpatient psychiatric hospital, we can refer you to another trusted provider in the community.
Untreated mental health concerns and addictions can affect nearly every aspect of your life, so don’t delay finding the help you need. To start the intake process, you can call our team directly or visit us in person at our main hospital located in the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. We also accept referrals from other facilities, former patients, and professional sources.
This content was written on behalf of and reviewed by the clinical staff at Montrose Behavioral Health Hospital.